Saturday, March 29, 2008

Americans and Baby Photos

I never realized how important baby photos were to Americans until a couple of years ago when one of our instructors - a wonderful man from Somalia - had an addition to his family. At our next staff meeting, “Ibrahim” was very surprised at the number of American colleagues who demanded to see a picture of the baby. It simply had never occurred to him to carry a picture of his infant. This was the first time I’d encountered such a thing - after all, American new parents usually have plenty of baby pictures they are more than willing to share - but I’ve since learned there are many people around the world to whom it has never occurred to show off photos of their babies.
Ibrahim never did show me a photo of his baby; however, he did make a special effort to bring in the little one herself for me to see and hold, which was infinitely more satisfying.