Sunday, December 28, 2008

Top three for this term

I’ve finally finished going through my ESL100 papers from this term. Unfortunately, since I was sick, it took a little longer than I intended.

The following are the top three sentences from the final compositions and final exams this term. There may be a few more as I do a little more marking on their papers before I return them to the students (*sigh* -- by mail, since I couldn’t possibly have gotten them all completely marked before the end of the term, even without having been sick. Oh, well. C’est la vie.)

#1 -- “The beaches in Hawaii are better than in San Francisco for their qualities and free pollution.”
(The pollution is FREE in Hawaii?? Wow!!)

#2 -- “The water is very cold and has deadly cuts in it.”
(I hate it when I injure myself on sharp shards of water.)

#3 -- “To be late for marriage is a good decision.”
(The topic of the composition had to do with marrying young vs. marrying later in life. However, I can think of a number of instances in which arriving too late for the ceremony might have been a good idea.)