Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lunchtime

I need to try to get out tomorrow at lunchtime. That's not always as easy as it sounds. The attempt often involves taking lunch at around 10:30 so I can slip out without being noticed, leaving only my "At lunch" sign on the door to let people know I've gone. Otherwise, there is this curious assumption that I'm in the office and am therefore available. Unfortunately, I have the very bad habit of eating lunch at my desk, and even when I have the "At lunch" sign on my door, if I can be seen, then ... well --- "Oh, this is quick." Oh, I don't mean to bother you, but ..."

But there aren't many places to take a brought-from-home lunch around school, particularly in the winter. In nice weather it's no problem. In January, though, I don't fancy sitting under a tree eating my sandwich.

I've actually resorted to hanging a shawl over the window in my door. However, that now leads people to the notion that if I have the shawl over the door, then I'm in there trying not to be bothered, and then ... well --- "Oh, this is quick." Oh, I don't mean to bother you, but ..."

And so forth.

And no, we're not allowed to paper over the windows in the doors as an ongoing defense mechanism. It annoys our interim dean, who wants to be able to walk by & see if we're actually there. I can't entirely blame him, but he has a secretary to run interference for him and protect the sanctity of his lunch.