Thursday, May 28, 2009

My job description in song

[To be sung to the tune of “My Favorite Things”]

Payroll reports that don’t have information,
HR procedures that cause huge frustration,
Phone calls and e-mails and IMs and pings --
These are a few of my favorite things.

HEAT forms and COOL forms and PERFORMS processes,
Handouts and copies and files to excesses,
The grants.gov site and the headaches it brings--
These are a few of my favorite things.

When the dean calls,
When the phone squalls,
When I’m too tired to think,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I just want a drink.

Committees and PrepLink and rewriting contracts,
DJFS and proposals with abstracts,
RFPs, boilerplates, funding with strings –
These are a few of my favorite things.

When the day’s work
Turns to homework,
When the world is mad,
I simply remember I’m not unemployed*,
And then I don’t feeeeel sooooo bad.


* Alternate line (depending on one’s mood):
I simply recall what I love in my job,