Thursday, August 27, 2009

So you want to be a teacher?

I receive a lot of resumes, applications and inquiries from potential instructors. Many of them are very qualified people. Then again, I occasionally see something like the following:

 

“I would like to teach English as a foreign language at the Language Institute.

 

I am currently in-between jobs and thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to offer my services to the community. Although I do not have any formal teaching experience, I have a Master’s degree from [large university] where I tutored undergraduate students in Mathematics and Chemistry. I am a resident of Columbus having worked at both [tech company] and [large bank] in the Information Technology group.

 

I would love to meet with you to discuss my credentials and any possible opportunities. I can also provide professional references who can vouch for my work ethic and integrity.”

 

OK – so … at what point did he give any indication of any qualification to teach English?

 

It seems his request can be summarized as “I’m unemployed; pay me.”

 

Sigh.