Monday, September 7, 2009

Disruptive student

For the first time in the nine years of the Basic English program, we had to have a disruptive student actually removed from class by Public Safety.

It was not a hard decision, but it was a distressing one. He was upsetting and scaring other students. One of the students came to my office to tell me about it and to let me know that she was completely “pissed up” by him.

Sure, there have been some discipline problems before, but they’ve been pretty minor. Sometimes an instructor needs to have a student leave for the day and come back only after an apology. That’s been the worst we’ve had … until now.

After nearly 10,000 students, I guess one Public Safety call is actually pretty good. I just hope the student learns how to function in class in the future – but it won’t be in our program.


Of course, as with so many unfortunate situations, there is one amusing aspect. When he met with our student conduct department, he talked (apparently at great length) about the fact that he fought against any situation that was wrong; in fact, he revolted against such things. As he said more than once, "I a revolting man."

I shouldn't find that funny.
But I'm afraid I do.