Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Success strategies

The other day an annoyed Basic English 3 student came into my office to dispute his grade. (This was the second time in a row he had failed the class.) He said there was never any homework and the teacher "not teach me nothin'".

Now, this would normally concern me a lot, except that the teacher in question had been telling me about this student all term -- came to class irregularly at best, never did his homework, was never prepared for class, was sullen, seldom participated, and so on.

So I asked H. to sit down and I called up the spreadsheet with his attendance for the term.

I told him, "Well, it looks like you didn't come to class at all during weeks 4, 5 and 6. And you came only once a week for the rest of the quarter."

He said he actually meant the quarter *before*this last one. I asked if that was the case, why hadn't he come to me before that? I further suggested that he might do better by attending class more frequently and doing the assigned homework. (In teacher-talk, we call these "success strategies".)

Curiously, that didn't keep him from throwing his certificate down on my desk and stalking out.