Sunday, August 7, 2011

Student essay gems

As I mark student essays each term, every so often something jumps out that just needs to be shared. Sometimes it's a spellchecker error (blindly choosing the first thing the spellchecker suggests), a spellchecker-is-not-your-friend error (the spellchecker doesn't flag the word, because it's the wrong word, albeit spelled correctly), a traditional-style misspelling, or some other sort of proofreading, grammar or word usage error. And of course, there's also the missing-the-concept error.

So, for your reading pleasure and that of posterity, here are a few gems from recent student essays:

"Paragraph: a piece of words with the sane idea."
(Not always. I've read some pretty insane paragraphs.)

Referring to her course of study: "It also offers two-year certifictions."
(I like the term certifiction. It sounds like a useful term to describe the product of a diploma mill. It is NOT, however, applicable to CSCC's programs.)

Referring to living close to school: "It also saves me the grass, which is today very high price."
(That couldn't have been a spellchecker error; it was handwritten. I don't know how that one came about.)

Referring to ESL options at CSCC: "There is also offer Basic English that are uncrated hours."
(She meant non-credit or ungraded, I believe, but as Derek said, we do try to think outside the box.)

On the crime rate: "The mummers of crime increased."
(These are very quiet crimes.)

"I came in USA to get a great academic formation among universities that are recognized as excellent in the whore world."
(And just which universities would those be? No, don't tell me. I don't want to know.)

On why people come to the U.S.: "They want to have the right of freedom of speech wherein they can say whatever they want without being rudely interrupted."
(I felt compelled to clarify the meaning of freedom of speech for her.)

"The worst wars are the ones based on political asylum..."
(No, no, no ...)

"... amazing places that are visited by tourists such as histerical places like Lalibela..."
(I think he meant 'historical'. At least, I hope he did.)